[mythtv-users] How does backend/frontend work with Directv?

Curtis Stanford curtis at stanfordcomputing.com
Tue Jun 17 15:47:02 EDT 2003

I haven't actually set up a MythTV system yet and am not quite clear
what the separation is between the backend and frontend. I understand
the backend encodes all the video and the frontend decodes and displays
it. Has anyone done this separation using Directv or an external
receiver? Can someone verify my idea of how this works?

- Put satellite receiver in the basement.
- Hook up to backend box capture card.
- Frontend is next to TV and hooked to backend with ethernet.
- Remote control on frontend.

OK, so when you want to watch TV, the backend changes to the right
channel, starts up the ring buffer and fires encoded video to the
frontend which then decodes and displays it?

When you fire a remote command at the frontend, does it fire the command
to the backend (if necessary, i.e. changing channels)? How does that work?

Thanks a lot

Curtis