[mythtv-users] Regular Overnight Lockups

Steven J. Finnegan sjf at controlsoftcorp.com
Tue Jun 17 14:58:04 EDT 2003

Every morning I find the myth system locked up (frozen picture, no sound).
This requires shutting down the backend and frontend and restarting them
(the Linux system is still running).

Since this happens every night, I decided to see what cron.daily functions
were occurring. This is what I discovered... (RH9)

makewhatis.cron - Causes audio errors (broken audio). After it completes,
the frontend log fills with a bunch of "Audio buffer overflow, audio data
lost!" messages, and audio is static. Changing channels recovers the audio.
(Using ALSA)

But the real culprit is slocate.cron. This causes myth to lock up every
time its run, with the message "Backend stuffed up in
RequestRingBufferBlock". Slocate causes the locate database to be rebuilt,
which creates a great deal of disk activity.

slocate.cron contains the following lines...

#!/bin/sh
renice +19 -p $$ >/dev/null 2>&1
/usr/bin/updatedb -f "nfs,smbfs,ncpfs,proc,devpts" -e
"/tmp,/var/tmp,/usr/tmp,/afs,/net"

Anybody else seeing this problem? Any suggested remedies (other than
avoiding updating the locate db)?

Thanks,
sjf

Steven J. Finnegan, President