[mythtv-users] Biggest, baddest MythTV

Eni Gma enigma at thedonnerparty.com
Wed Jun 18 18:28:04 EDT 2003

Shawn wrote:

>Reiserfs is supported by all major dists now, just not all their stupid
>installers. Gentoo linux might be my favorite right now.
>
>I'd love to see a list of installed platforms out there. It would help
>those folks (such as myself) who are just starting up to formulate a
>recipe.
>
>I'd love to see simply
>     1. What platform (Roll-yer-own, Asus Pundit, Shuttle XPC SS40G,
>        etc)

2 frontends on RH8
1 frontend on MDK 9.1
2 backends on Debian-stable
NFS file server on RH8, RAID5  /dev/md0  4 disks, 137 GB.  /dev/md0 8
disks, 194 GB
(one of the RH8 frontends is being converted to debian, with the other 2
probably following.)

>     2. What's your Video OUT device?

F1: ATI Rage 128 Pro
F2: ATI Rage II+DVD
F3: ATI Radeon 7500
first 2 use the ati.2 drivers, I can't remember if #3 does or not.

>     3. What captures video? Where did you buy it?

B1: Hauppague WinTV-Go, 49.99 @CompUSA
B2: Generic BT848 (No Tuner) bought long ago with a webcam kit.

>     4. What changes your channels? Where'd you buy it?

B2 does not change channels (HBO feed only from an antique VCR).  B1
uses the internal tuner.

>     5. What remote control do you have?

All 3 frontends have the CIMR-100 serial port reciever/remote combo.
 IIRC, they were about $7.00 ea. @ computergeeks.com.  They are natively
supported by LIRC.  With these remotes, a kernel recompile is not
required as they use the standard serial support.

>As it is, a lot of digging and prodding needs to be done to end up with
>a working MythTV. Recipes are nice.

Yes they are, but unfortunately everybody has different ingredients (and
different levels of "cooking" skills).

[--snip--]