[mythtv-users] Why do I need an IR blaster?

Ray Olszewski ray at comarre.com
Thu Jun 19 11:31:17 EDT 2003

At 12:07 PM 6/19/2003 -0500, Richard J. Finn wrote:

>         Why is it so hard?
>
>         I was reading up on the idea, and it *reads* like it wouldn't be
> any more difficult than getting MythTV to work in the first
> place.  Sending is handled by the "rc" command line program
> (http://www.lirc.org/html/rc.html).  You do have to define two remotes in
> the lird.conf, but that seems to be supported.  The MythTV docs give
> instructions for both recieving and sending commands.
>
>         Is the tricky part having to IR devices defined in the same
> lird.conf file?

Maybe it is not as hard as I think it is, -IF- both the sending and the
receiving stuff uses the same physical device. Most (maybe all) of the
problems I've read about involve trying to run two separate devices on two
serial ports. And I still cannot recall reading anyone's specific
description of an actual send-and-receive setup that worked both ways on
the same host (neither the LIRC nor the Myth docs are that specific, for
example).

After you get it working, please tell us what you did, any special problems
you had to overcome, and what hardware was involved. The Internet is way
too full of messages that say, more or less, "I did it and it was easy" ...
on this topic and others ... but that do not explain how actually to do it,
to help the folks who do not find it "easy" when they try.