[mythtv-users] Re: Autoplay of inserted CDs and DVDs

Tako Schotanus quintesse at palacio-cristal.com
Fri Jun 20 00:49:10 EDT 2003

Lonny Selinger wrote:

>>>I'm no Linux expert so can somebody explain why this change (from
>>>scd0
>>>-> hdd) happens?
>>>Isn't scd0 supposed to be for SCSI drives? Both drives I used were
>>>IDE
>>>so why would it use scd0 at all and why would it change when
>>>changing
>>>drives?
>>>

>>That would happen if you were using scsi emulation, which Linux uses
>>for
>>dvd or cd-r(w) drives, and then switched to a drive that didn't do
>>scsi
>>emulation.
>>

>You nailed it .... I'm guessing the other drive *may* be possibly a
>burner. Linux uses SCSI emulation to *talk* to IDE burners. If you
>have something that can scan for devices on a SCSI bus (ie: cdrecord
>--scanbus) it should return the device/LUN ID of your IDE drive if its
>a burner.
>
>I haven't really run into any case other then that where SCSI
>emulation was used on an IDE drive.

It wasn't but one was a "normal" DVD drive while the new one is a slim-line.

But then again, I'm not sure that the detection for these kind of things
is always correct, in my other linux computer the system keeps telling
me that my (SCSI) Plextor cd-rom drive is actually a burner.  I keep
wanting to try it out ;-)