[mythtv-users] system profiling / cpu usage revisited

Gregorio Gervasio Jr. gtgj at pacbell.net
Thu Jun 19 20:13:59 EDT 2003

>>>>> On Thu, 19 Jun 2003 16:06:01 -0500, Brian Lalor <blalor at bravo5.org> said:

b> Ok, I've been doing some poking around with iostat and vmstat.  I
b> changed my settings so that I'm now doing MPEG-4 encoding (exact
b> params not important ATM).  My CPU's at ~100% most of the time that

        Maybe it is important -- are you sure you haven't enabled the
HQ and 4MV options?  Last time I checked, the first one bumped up CPU
usage on my Athlon 2500XP+ from 15-20% to 40-50%.  The second one
pretty much maxes out the system.  This is with LiveTV MPEG-4
@480x480.  Also, other people have reported strange results when using
non-standard values for min/max quality.

        Are you sure you didn't accidentally compile for debug?  Did
you do anything different when you ran "./configure"?  That's actually
the critical one since it sets up the libavcodec build.  From what
I've seen, there's not much to be gained by using "-march=athlon"
anyway so you could just stick with the default compiler options.

--
Gregorio Gervasio, Jr.
gtgj at pacbell.net