[mythtv-users] Re: Extenal interface to frontend for OSD and otherstuff?

Max max-mythtv-users at lasevich.net
Thu Jun 19 21:26:20 EDT 2003

First of all, thanks for all the links, I will try those out, esp XYAC,
since I already have YAC running (not a bad platform, except for the fact
the server needs to know where all the clients are. I was going to add some
UDP broadcasting code, but then I found that the server needs VS.NET to
compile and that was pretty much it) . I would have prefered to use Myth's
own OSD to keep everything looking the same, but this will do.

> This is more complicated (of course). For one, if you've got video
> playing, and you stick in a DVD, you can't just pause the video and jump
> to the DVD (at least not if you're using XVideo, which you almost

I do not know much about Xvideo, but can you tell me in few words why not?

> definitely are). You have to back out of whatever's playing before
> starting something else. I'm not too sure I'm keen on the idea of
> jumping straight to playing when you insert a DVD/CD, but I have been

That exactly what I am saying though,. instead of auto-playing, I would want
it to ask me if I want to play it, if I ignore it or hit "clear" or "no", it
will go away, but if I say "yes", it will pause whatever I am doing, save my
position, and go to the proper application. You get best of both.

> thinking for a while about the possibility of jumping directly from one
> plugin to another with a single command/keypress. I.e. I press the "DVD"
> button on my universal remote, and MythVideo launches. Then I press
> "Stereo" and MythVideo exits, and MythMusic launches. Saves you from
> hitting escape 2-3 times to get back to the main menu, and then choosing
> your new plugin...and gets you 2/3 of the way to your suggestion with
> what looks to be a lot less trouble.

That would be nice. Ideally I would like to see a single application acting
as a window manager of sorts, in which components  would run. It would
provide OSD and user interface, and task switching and would controll all
the windows. and TV and all other modules would run in it. That would make
it more like a unified platform. And make development of plugins a bit
easier. They would no longer be separate applications launching each other
and competing for resources.  Ahhh, dreams...... I know, I know, i should
stop whining and try to write some code myself.

-M