[mythtv-users] Hauppauge 250/350 in UK?

Rob Kirkbride rob.kirkbride at thales-is.com
Fri Jun 20 16:29:43 EDT 2003

On Thu, 2003-06-19 at 11:42, Martin Cosgrave wrote:
> On Wednesday 18 June 2003 07:59, Rob Kirkbride wrote:
> > Anyone managed to get a 350 working in the UK?
> > I've managed to get a picture fine via the S-Video input with both mplayer
> > and mytv but *not* with terrestial TV into the TV input with either
> > program.
> >

> (btw - I know this duplicates some of the info I sent you off list but at
> least here it is searchable by others)
>
> I've got a 250 and I'm in the UK - I set it up like this:
> --8<--
> # Setup TV input
> # set card to PAL
> /usr/local/bin/test_ioctl -u 0x000000FF
> # reduce default bitrate
> /usr/local/bin/test_ioctl -c bitrate_peak=4000000,bitrate=2000000,framerate=1
> # tune it in to pal channel 21, you can use "-F <freq>" instead of "-c chan"
> /usr/local/bin/ptune.pl -f pal-europe -c 21
> --8<--
> btw my modules.conf is slightly different to yours:
> --8<--
> alias char-major-81     videodev
> alias char-major-81-0   ivtv
> options ivtv debug=1
> options tuner type=1
> options msp3400 once=1 simple=1
> add below ivtv msp3400 saa7115 tuner
> --8<--
> Here's a shell script that will help you find the channels - just write down
> the frequency displayed after you see a recognisable picture. The start freq
> is very low but I am getting my TV signal off a cable feed so I actually do
> have a channel there. If you have an old ivtv you might need a newer version
> because ptune.pl changed at some point:
> --8<--
> #!/bin/bash
> for (( i=55250; $i<1000000; i=$i+8000 ));
> do
> ptune.pl -f pal-europe -F $i;
> cat /dev/video0 | mplayer - &
> sleep 5
> killall -9 mplayer
> echo
> echo freq $i
> echo
> sleep 5
> done
> --8<--

I managed to get ptune.pl to build and then used ptune-ui.pl to find the
channels, that was really my problem - thanks for the idea with the
script. I manged to put these channel numbers into the database and can
now operate mythtv to select them. Starting recording seems to result in
a blank screen but I'm hopeful I've just got some settings wrong but
I've not had chance to further look yet.

Thanks for the help,

Rob