[mythtv-users] Quick question

Ray Olszewski ray at comarre.com
Sun Jun 22 07:59:38 EDT 2003

At 12:19 AM 6/22/2003 -0700, Jesse Keating wrote:
>I'm a new mythtv user, and I think it's great!   I have a minimal setup to
>start with, just a Happauge WinTV Go card, and no sound card.  My
>understanding was that I could record TV shows on this box, then watch them
>on a different box and still have sound.  Does mythtv not record sound into
>the video file if there is no sound card in the system?  How can I get around
>this?  Thanks!

Myth records from a sound device, usually /dev/dsp or /dev/dsp0. So to
record sound, you need some sound driver in the kernel, to connect a
physical device to that logical device. This logical device can connect to
a sound card, or it can connect to the sound output of a video-capture
card. In principle, that is.

In practice, you face two problems from your choice of video-capture card.

First, its sound output does not work with the btaudio kernel driver.

Second, newer versions of that card do not even work with the bttv video
kernel driver (Hauppauge changed the chipset). I mention this jut in case
you have not tested your card yet; you *may* be yet another victim of
Hauppauge's practice of changing card specs without changing its model name
and number.

The only ways to "get around" problem #1 are either to buy a sound card or
to get a card supported by the btaudio driver (or, I suppose, some other
driver if it is not a bttv card).  I use method 1; sound cards are cheap.
Search the list for info on cards that support method 2.

If you have problem #2, you either need to replace the card or wait for a
kernel driver that supports it (I believe work is happening on one, but how
fast it is moving I do not know).