[mythtv-users] Lots of bits and pieces...

Tupshin Harper tupshin at tupshin.com
Sun Jun 22 12:02:11 EDT 2003

Ray Olszewski wrote:

> At 11:38 PM 6/21/2003 -0700, Tupshin Harper wrote:
> [...]
>
>> Thanks, a useful site, but even they don't seem to have what I need.
>> I'm looking for a case that can easily handle my current setup of 9
>> ide hard-drives, 1 floppy(optional), and 1 cdrom. And, I'd even like
>> some expansion room ;-). I'm willing to go to about $200, without
>> power supply or fans
>

> I recently purchased a 10-bay tower case from www.compugeeks.com . It
> was a special of the week, about $US30 for it, a keyboard, and a
> mouse. Last time I looked, they still had these or similar cases,
> though the price was not as good. Included a fairly big P/S (360W, I
> think).

www.compugeeks.com points to a networks solutions temporary site...did
you mean somewhere else?

> I also recently purchased a 10-bay case from Fry's, also on a weekly
> special, for $US5 (after a $25 rebate). Smaller P/S (250W, I think).
>
> Both were tower cases. My impression is that 10-bay cases are starting
> to become commonplace. But I have not ever seen a case with 11 or more
> bays, so I don't know how to accommodate your optional floppy or
> "expansion room".

Agreed. 10 bays is common but not enough, and larger is hard to find.

> BTW, how do you run 9 IDE drives? I thought 8 was the limit.

Well, I have a motherboard with 2 regular ide channels, with an onboard
highpoint ide-raid controllers with two more ide channels, and a pci
promise ide controller with two more. Note that I'm use the raid
controller as a regular controller, and doing lvm on top of it all. I
have drives at hda,hdb,hdd,hde,hdf,hdg,hdh,hdk, and hdl. Looks like a
bit of room to expand before I run out of letters. ;-)

-Tupshin