[mythtv-users] Asus Pundit and Interlaced Output, part III :)

Will Dormann wdormann at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 23 21:09:53 EDT 2003

OK, It's good to see that I'm not the only one!

Anyway, the SIS driver also has an option for reducing flicker.   I have
turned this off to see how it would affect my interlaced output.   It
didn't seem to help the video much, though I could definately see an
increase of flicker in horizontal lines in X before mythfrontend starts up.

A PVR250 system does indeed allow you to deinterlace the TV output.
True, the capture is done via hardware, but once that's done you've got
an interlaced MPEG2 file.   Playback is done totally by software, just
as it is with RTJPEG and MPEG-4.    (well, maybe playback isn't done in
the exact same method, but it is software playback).   So if the
Deinterlace playback option is enabled in MythTV, then it does
deinterlace the video.

As I mentioned in a previous post, I did a capture via:   cat
/dev/video0 > /tmp/test.mpg
and I would play it back with mplayer
I figure, this way I would eliminate as many variables as possible.
I've tried different resolutions, flicker options, overscan, and all
that but have yet to find a solution that looks *good*.   The most
noticeable problem areas were panning scenes. (try pausing)   Since the
above test uses MythTV in no way, then I guess it's not at fault.
:)      But I think the topic is still relevant to this discussion list.

I currently have deinterlacing enabled in MythTV and it has good
results.  The question is whether or not I am losing motion smoothness
as a result of this, compared to "true" interlaced output.

-WD