[mythtv-users] Re: RedHat 9 Packages

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at physik.fu-berlin.de
Tue Jun 24 09:00:45 EDT 2003

Hi,

On Mon, Jun 23, 2003 at 11:31:50PM -0500, Tyler Butler wrote:
> I attempted several different installs on a couple of distros, including
> SuSE 8.2 and Gentoo (whatever the latest version was...), but had the
> most success in RedHat 9.
>
> [...] So I reinstalled my system from scratch (doesn't take long
> once you get the hang of it :-) ), got ivtv, and installed the
> mythtv meta package (includes EVERYTHING!) using apt-get.
> Surprisingly, it works!

I am glad to hear :)))

> Almost... I get the following output when I try to change channels
> while watching Live TV, and similar output when I try to record.
> [...]
> Seems like a DB problem or something, but I'm not sure, so anyone who
> can offer some tips or ideas on what to try is much appreciated.  Is it
> possible this has something to do with the new XMLTV format?  Perhaps
> the packages are not updated as of yet...  BTW, I have checked the
> default channel and it seems to be set fine.

Maybe, perhaps you should try downgrading xmltv to 0.5.10 with

       apt-get install xmltv=0.5.10-20

Please report success or failure, maybe I should withdraw 0.5.11 from
the repository until things are settled down.

> For the record, mythWeather works like a charm, and I haven't tested
> mythVideo or mythMusic yet.  If anyone is interested in a step-by step
> install guide using the packages, I'd be willing to write one up.

I'd be! :)

There is an ongoing effort about documenting Red Hat 9 setups. Jarod
C. Wilson <jcw at wilsonet.com>, Matt Kaminer <matt at kaminer.com> and
Cedar McKay <cedarmckay at mac.com> have already done documentation and
are currently working with the HOWTO maintainer, Robert Kulagowski
<rkulagow at rocketmail.com> on improving the HOWTO.

Have you seen http://pvrhw.goldfish.org/tiki-page.php?pageName=rh9pvr250
?

> I would like to get it fully working before I do, though... :-)
>
> FYI: cat ivitv test works fine... in fact, it works even better than
> before! Must be a lot of work on the ivtv CVS archive.

There exists a rpm for that, too, but it is in the testing stage
still. Contact me in private, if anyone wants to play guinea pigs. ;)
Axel.Thimm at physik.fu-berlin.de