[mythtv-users] Re:Backend stuffed up in RequestRingBufferBlock

Isaac Richards ijr at po.cwru.edu
Tue Jun 24 12:45:32 EDT 2003

On Tuesday 24 June 2003 11:22 am, Tobias Hilbert wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 24. Juni 2003 06:01 schrieb Isaac Richards:
> > On Monday 23 June 2003 11:35 pm, Robert Schultz wrote:
> > > I continue to get these back end stuffed up errors.
> > > I'm running the latest IVTV and MythTV CVS as of June 21st.
> > > I've upgraded to a Soltek SL75-DRV2 motherboard.
> > >
> > > It only happens when watching live TV.
> > >
> > > I can't FATHOM how I'm the only one still getting these.
> > > Is it a MythTV bug? Or an IVTV one?
> >
> > IVTV bug.  Happens with VIA chipset motherboards (though not the epia-m,
> > that I've seen).  Should also happen if you watch something while it's
> > recording.. Ask about it on their lists.  See the 'IVTV DMA errors'
> > thread on the ivtv-devel list for more details.
>
> The IVTV DMA error happens only with KT133 Chipsets.
> I have the KT400 Chipset and still get thr back end stuffed up errors.

No, it quite obviously doesn't happen only with kt133 chipsets.  Every single
person that's reported this error has been running with a VIA chipset of some
sort -- mostly kt133's, yes, but a couple kt266's (like the one that started
this thread), a couple kx133's, and a couple kt400's.   Essentially, it's a
chipset issue that's brought about by transferring large amounts of data
around the bus.  Ie, exactly what you're doing when watching tv with mythtv.

Isaac