[mythtv-users] Font size in Guide and Recordings (and various other rants)

Isaac Richards ijr at po.cwru.edu
Wed Jun 25 00:31:12 EDT 2003

On Tuesday 24 June 2003 10:59 pm, Eni Gma wrote:
> Issue 1:
> Is there a way to change the size of the font in the Program Guide and
> the Watch Recordings page?  I have the QtFont* settings at fairly high
> values (28, 30, 32), and when I am in the setup screens the font is more
> than readable on my TV.  However, when browsing through the program
> guide or through previously recorded programs, the font is very small
> and unreadable.  I have searched through the setup screens (and also the
> list) to determine if anyone else has this problem, but I haven't seen
> anyone else complain of this.  Is this a quirk with my systems or am I
> overlooking something?

Fonts sizes for the themed dialogs (epg, playback screen, mythvideo,
mythweather, etc) are all set in the various theme files.

> Issue 2 (more of a rant than an issue)
> Also while I'm posting I was wondering if the developers assume that
> everyone is using this on a computer.  All my frontends are hooked to
> televisions and my backends are headless.  There seems to be an
> inordinate amount of keys required to control the various functions of
> Myth.  There are also a number of places that require typing.  It is a
> huge pain to have to plug a keyboard into all my systems to do so many
> things.  This is a plea to think of us poor remote control users when
> designing interfaces.

My main use is hooked up to a TV.  Almost everything can be done with 4 arrow
buttons, a select button, an exit button, and the number keys.  One of the
next things I want to do is make a full-fledged menu for the OSD, which
should get rid of some extra buttons during playback and live tv.

There isn't that much stuff that needs a keyboard, and it'll become less as
stuff's switched over to use the 'MythRemoteLineEdit' widget instead of the
normal QLineEdit -- this allows entry of characters as on a phone keypad
(it's used in the new manual scheduling screen and music playlist popups, for
instance).

> Issue 3:
> Does the PIP functionality work across multiple backends?  I can send V
> to get the other tuner to display, and B to swap focus between the
> backends but if I send N to swap between tuners nothing happens.  Is
> there something wrong here or is swapping between different backends
> just not supported?

'N' swaps the channel between the two displayed windows (if the channels are
available on both cards, of course).  You can't switch tuner cards while
watching tv.  It just picks the first free tuner cards when assigning things
to watch in PiP.

Isaac