[mythtv-users] My next server case [WAY off topic]

Scott Blomfield ScottB at Cavps.com
Thu Jun 26 14:15:17 EDT 2003

<RANT>

You know what I hate? Manufacturers that think just because a case is
black, and square that it looks enough like your other AV gear. This
stuff is supposed to look good. Why don't they get it?

My DVD player is silver and rounded. I mean, it has lots of curves. It
sits on feet. It is symmetrical. It is low profile.
It looks rather like this:
http://www.ads-infopool.de/buchtip_dvdplayer01.gif

Some manufacturers "get it". Even if they are square, they still look
good:
http://www.hushtechnologies.net/graphics2/homepic.gif
http://usa.asus.com/products/desktop/pundit/pundit_f001.jpg
http://www.tranquilpc.co.uk/images/silver_cd.jpg
http://www.morex.com.tw/images/3688.jpg
http://www.casetronic.com/Product/Barebone/Mini-Checkercube/Images-c136/
sc136-45d-600.jpg

But these guys are the minority in such a large industry (and all of
those cases have a board pre-installed)...  I mean, is it so hard to
remove the floppy disk drive slot from a pc case? For once, I'd champion
the cause to *remove* the USB from the front of a computer case... Let's
get a show of hands who wants their htpc/myth/freevo box to look like a
computer... Heck even this phillips TiVo has what looks like a card
reader on the front, and it STILL looks good.

Maybe I am not quite all there in the head... Is the htpc community
really such a small market? Are we going to be (mostly) stuck with this
http://www.aaronix.com/catalog/images/h340d_black-B.gif
kind of thing forever?

</RANT>