[mythtv-users] Re:Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound distortion with ALSA

Mark Chou mcpcs at ivwnet.com
Thu Jun 26 22:52:54 EDT 2003

I had a variation of the problem you're describing, TB Santa Cruz w/
alsa 9.0rc8.  Occasionally for no apparent reason, the audio shifts to
what I describe "higher frequency harmonics."  There is suddenly high
pitched noise/buzz that accompanies the audio, as if there was a "loose
screw" on top of a sub woofer.

I don't know what I did, but it no longer happens as much as it used to.
  In fact, I haven't noticed it in a while.  Maybe it was a later
version of mythtv cvs, I don't know.  All I know is that it hasn't
happened for me in the last 3 wks or so.

Peter Wallin wrote:

I seem to recall reading that someone else was having the exact same
problem, but I haven't come across a solution yet. Has anyone gotten a
santa cruz working with mythtv?

Perhaps the problem is not with the sound but with the capture card
since sometimes when this happens I also get some stuttering in the
video. But no matter what resolution, quality settings or encoding file
format I use, the distortion problem persists.

Also, don't know if this is expected behavior, but everytime I switch
channels I hear a snap crackle sound and get a rebuffering message from
mythfrontend. Mythbackend reports nothing unusual.

My specs are:

P4 2 ghz
512 meg SDRAM
Hard drive with DMA enabled, ext3 formatted
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz with latest ALSA (using the cs46xx driver)
Red Hat 9
KDE
bttv with Pinnacle PCTV Pro (I use gbuffers = 16, tried both with more
and less buffers to no avail)
Pinnacle remote with Lirc

Anyone got any ideas?

// Peter