[mythtv-users] Remotes, good info

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Fri Jun 27 19:47:56 EDT 2003

Max wrote:
> To add to that, if you are interested in a true learning remote with ability
> to do just about anything you'd ever want, check out the so-called "JP1"
> remotes from UEI. UEI is the manufacturer behind "One-for-All" and many
> RadioShack models (as well as Replay and Sony Tivo remotes). Many of these
> remotes have a connector (labeled on the mainboard as JP1-thus the misguided
> name) that will allow you to connect the remote to a PC allowing you to
> reprogram the internal memory and microcontroller. It's  pretty impressing
> what these remotes can do, and you can program it from a computer, not
> hitting the buttons untill you fingers are bleeding. The best part is that a
> great remote can be had for about $20. I've seen the radio shack ones be as
> little as $10 for a 6-device remote. OFA now has a remote specifically
> designed for PVR's (pad centered around pause, replay/skip buttons, etc)
> which goes for under $25. The cable can be put together yourself from about
> $5 worth of part or purchased pre-made for $15
>
> For a dedicated hacker who would rather put together a Myth box than buy an
> off-the-shelf PVR, this is definately the way to go.
>
> For more info, check out: http://www.hifi-remote.com and

Thanks for the info Max. Before going completely off on a
tangent about remotes ;-), remember that the key element
for MythTV is if a remote can actually learn the codes from
a specific wireless keyboard. I've seem combinations of remotes
and keyboards that do work and other combinations that don't.

Have you been able to use a learning remote with a wireless
keyboard? If so, what models where they.

--  bjm