[mythtv-users] Mythfrontend hangs when I try to change channels

mOjO mojospam at thegeekclub.net
Sat Jun 28 03:07:02 EDT 2003

Donald A. Cook wrote:

> I am having problems when I try changing channels when watching Live
> TV.  Mythfrontend seems to hang.

thats covered in the new/updated FAQ on the website... usually happens
when your channel database isnt populated...

> If I run xawtv before I start MythTV, and then run Mythbackend and
> Mythfrontend, I get a good picture.  I can pause and restart.  I can
> also use esc to get out of MythTV.  But as stated, if I try typing an
> up-arrow, Mythfrontend hangs and an esc will not exit the program.  The
> system does not crash nor do I get any errors.  If I do not run xawty
> first, when Mythtv comes up I do not get a picture.

this sounds like a hardware video overlay issue. what kind of TV-Out do
you have?  do you have a monitor connected at the same time or just a
TV...?  sorry, im not much of an expert.. hopefully somebody smarter
than me will respond as well.. are your XV extensions working ok?

> Also, when I do a scheduled recording, I just record snow.

thats got to be because of the channel database... sorry i dont know how
to set it up in germany.. did you run the setup program as the same user
that runs mythfilldatabase?  i made that mistake once...

> I am running Redhat 9 and my tunner card is a Magic TView with a CPH05/
> TV+FM tuner.
>

> Since I live in Germany, I had to initialize my database with the
> following command:
>

>             mythfilldatabase –xawchannels 1 ~/.xawtv
>

> Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

thats all i got!

hehe

mOjO