[mythtv-users] Nvidia TV Out Quality + Some other Random Questions for the Penut Gallery

Charles Choukalos choukalos at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 5 10:36:46 EST 2003

All,

In case anyone's in the same boat as I... I thought
I'd pass on some information.

I have a server in my master closet with an Nvidia
Mx440 card (tv-out) that pipes the tv signal into an
RF modulator ($50 at radio shack), into a combiner
which combines a low-pass filtered (OnQue sells these,
you can also build them yourself... $20 or so) CableTV
input.  So I can from any tv in my house watch cable
tv up to channels 84, and then flip over to my channel
(94) and watch mythtv or what ever the server's
playing.  Neat huh?  Well... long story short... the
picture quality absolutely blows.  Turns out that if I
hook the server via S-Video directly to a tv it looks
great... then unplug tv and plug into RF modulator...
it looks great.  However, when you reboot... you've
got to do the same.  I found this tag from the Xfree
log... how can I turn this into a valid modeline?
(I'm assuming this will fix the quality issues for me,
and probably anyone else walking the same path)

(**) NVIDIA(0): Validated modes for Display Device 0:
(**) NVIDIA(0):      Default mode "800x600": 40.0 MHz,
37.9 kHz, 60.3 Hz
(**) NVIDIA(0):      Default mode "640x480": 25.2 MHz,
31.5 kHz, 60.0 Hz
(II) NVIDIA(0): Virtual screen size determined to be
800 x 600
(==) NVIDIA(0): DPI set to (75, 75)

GetModeLine - scrn: 0 clock: 40000
GetModeLine - hdsp: 800 hbeg: 840 hend: 968 httl: 1056
              vdsp: 600 vbeg: 601 vend: 605 vttl: 628
flags: 5
GetModeLine - scrn: 0 clock: 40000
GetModeLine - hdsp: 800 hbeg: 840 hend: 968 httl: 1056
              vdsp: 600 vbeg: 601 vend: 605 vttl: 628
flags: 5
GetModeLine - scrn: 0 clock: 40000
GetModeLine - hdsp: 800 hbeg: 840 hend: 968 httl: 1056
              vdsp: 600 vbeg: 601 vend: 605 vttl: 628
flags: 5
GetModeLine - scrn: 0 clock: 40000
GetModeLine - hdsp: 800 hbeg: 840 hend: 968 httl: 1056
              vdsp: 600 vbeg: 601 vend: 605 vttl: 628
flags: 5

Also, I'm playing around with an ATI RF remote... just
insmod'ing the ati_remote module gets most things
working out of the box.  Ie numbers map to numbers,
the left,up,down,right arrows map.... the a,b,c,d,e,f
keys map... but all of the other buttons don't do
anything.. . nor does my xmodmap seem to work.  Any
advice?  Am I missing something?  Do I have to setup
my X11 to use it as a mouse to get it to work?  I
really need to map in the ESC button... this running
to the server everytime I want to back up is killing
me ;)  FYI, it is a bit slow when I'm at the other end
of the house trying to scroll through my movies... but
its not too bad.

Also, since I've got a wee bit of the scottish in me
wallet... how bad is the electricity bill for having a
dual athalon server running?  Right now, I'm seeing
about a $25 hit for a dual Piii (550) with about 8
drives in it... I'm thinking about upping it to around
11/12 drives and a dual athalon... that way my media
server can be handle all of my computer tasks... and
it'll be the only thing on.  (Granted it'll be working
most of the time).  Now I dogg the current server
really bad (usually 1 processor is doing video
encoding/reencoding most of the time... spare
processor is sometimes hit with mythtv recording
and/or playback + misc compiles.  I imagine it'd get
worse with the Athalon rig though)

Thanks,
Chuck