[mythtv-users] rpms for Mandrake

Ray Olszewski ray at comarre.com
Wed Mar 5 22:36:08 EST 2003

At 08:26 PM 3/5/2003 -0800, skeeterskip wrote:
>In SSH, when logged in as root, it is #, for non-root
>users it is $.

What does ssh have to do with your problem (the "cannot connect to X
server" message you get when trying to start mythtv or mythfrontend)?

I thought we were discussing running MythTV on a local machine, by the user
who has started X (usually root in your case, though I gather you have also
tried an ordinary userid, perhaps mythtv), from an xterm (or whatever KDE's
analog to an xterm is) running with the same userid. If you are doing
something other than that, please describe as specifically as you can how
you are trying to start mythtv (or, preferred, mythfrontend).

If you are doing all of this remotely, in some way that involves ssh
sessions &/or ssh tunneling of X, there is a lot of room for problems. Up
till now, I (and I'm sure the othes who have responded as well) had assumed
that you were running X on the same host that you have MythTV on, and that
you were using a cli from a terminal session opened in that same X server.