[mythtv-users] G400-TV, a few problems.

nick ozzy at followthelemur.com
Sat Mar 8 17:04:42 EST 2003

Hi all,

I know some of you are using this card, so I figured I'd check in here
for some help.  I've been using MythTV for a few weeks now with onboard
video, and it's been good so far (except for some poor performance due
to the Savage video driver).  Last night I installed a G400-TV to act
both as a second tuner and as my main display device.

I followed the instructions in the G200-HOWTO here, and output is
working beautifully; much crisper than the onboard TV-out on my
motherboard.  Unfortunately, I've run into 3 problems, none of which
I've been able to solve by banging my head against them, so if anyone
has any ideas, I'd greatly appreciate it.  Here they are, listed in
order of importance:

1. When trying to use Hardware MJPEG encoding in my Live TV profile, I
get a blank screen (as if live TV tries to start) and lots of messages
on the console about "Audio buffer overflow!  Audio stream data lost"
and such.  I also received some messages, at one point, about
ThreadedWrite failing, but I haven't been able to reproduce those this
morning.  RTJPEG and MPEG4 seem to work just fine here, but hardware
encoding is a no-go.  Changing the audio codec or parameters doesn't
change anything.

2. When running MAME from Mythgame, coming back from certain
resolutions causes it to lose sync badly, seem to flip video modes for
about 30 seconds, and finally decides to restart X (logs out the
current user, dumps back to the X "hash" screen, and kdm starts up).  I
can't for the life of me explain this, but it definitely never happened
before.

3. The G400 TV tuner isn't detected, no matter what I do.  I've got
another tuner in there, so this isn't the biggest deal, but PIP would
be nice.  When I use the tuner.o built from marvel.sourceforge.net, my
existing tuner is still detected as the only tuner, except it doesn't
work (won't tune any channels).  When I use the tuner.o built with my
kernel, the existing WinTV Pro is detected correctly and works.  In
both cases, the Philips tuner in the G400 is not detected, and does not
work.  /dev/video1 (where I would imagine it should be) is not a device.

Any thoughts on these would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
Nick