[mythtv-users] SETUP: Problems with video device

David Chappelle david at codermonkey.com
Tue Mar 11 04:58:20 EST 2003

Red Hat 8
Hauppauge WinTV-FM

I'm getting segmentation fault errors trying to start watching live TV.
When setup ran, XMLTV seemed to kick off ok, then it gave an error
"Couldn't open /dev/video to probe its inputs."

Looking at /dev/video, I see it is a directory.  I see the following:
/dev/video/em8300
/dev/video/em8300_ma
/dev/video/em8300_mv
/dev/video/em8300_sp

I tried entering /dev/video/em8300 for the video device, no difference.
I don't know enough about video4linux to troubleshoot this.

XAWTV works fine.

Possibly unrelated:  I'm getting the following error from setup (mysql
error maybe?)
Session management error: Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the
authentication protocols specified are supported and host-based
authentication failed

Running "mythfilldatabase --manual" runs XMLTV and seems to download
some guide info, then gives a Segmentation Fault.

So, it looks like I need to change my config for the video device and
possibly fix something with mysql.  Any suggestions?

Thanks