[mythtv-users] Weird Problem with Settings

Christopher Miles twitch at nervestaple.com
Thu Mar 13 14:27:45 EST 2003

Hello,

I running MythTV from CVS under Gentoo linux. I am using a motherboard
with the NVIDIA nforce chipset and a Hauppage WinTV dbx 401 card. I
have the card wired to the CD port on my board to get the audio.
Everything seems to test out okay, but I can't seem to get audio
working through MythTV.

I believe that everything is setup okay in alsamixer. When I run xawtv
I can't hear the audio because the cd-in is muted. If I run "aplay
/dev/dsp" while running xawtv I can hear the audio through my external
speakers.

The backend application runs fine, but when the frontend starts I see
this:

> connecting to backend server: 127.0.0.1:6543
> Changing from None to WatchingLiveTV
> player: Can't open audio device:
> open audio:: No such file or directory
> Over/underscanning. V: 0.050000, H: 0.050000, XOff: 0, YOff: 0
> Using XV port 103
> Unable to find font:
> No OSD will be displayed.

All of this information (audio device and font) is set in my
/usr/share/mythtv/settings.txt file, but it's as if it isn't getting
read. I checked the tables in MySQL and they appear to be setup
correctly. What really bothers me is the lack of a device listed after
the "open audio:: No such file or directory". Shouldn't it be listing
the device it's trying to open?

Should this file be somewhere else?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
-- Miles