[mythtv-users] Help with ATI Remote setup

Dwight Hubbard dhubbard at dwightandamy.com
Fri Mar 14 12:36:13 EST 2003

> Hi,
>    I'm looking for any help that I can get with setting up Myth to work
> with my ATI Remote.  I looked at the Gatos ati_remote project but got a
> bit confused as to whether I should use ati_remote or lirc_usb (included
>  in ati_remote proj.), or both.  Basically I want to be able to use the
> remote (mouse functions as well), along with my standard usb keyboard
> and mouse.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I use the ati_remote module.  The method I used to install it on my Redhat
8.0 system where something like this:

1. Pulled down the ati_remote kernel module source from the gatos project.
   wget http://umn.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/gatos/ati_remote-2.1.1.tgz

2. Extract the tarball.
   tar -xzvf ati_remote-2.1.1.tgz

3. Install the kernel sources
   up2date kernel-source

4. cd into the driver directory
   cd ati_remote-2.1.1

5. Fix the makefile (it looks for the kernel includes in /usr/src/linux
instead of /usr/src/linux-2.4)
   cp Makefile Makefile.bad
   sed "s/I\/usr\/src\/linux\//I\/usr\/src\/linux-2.4\//g" < Makefile.bad
> Makefile

6. Build the module
   make

7. Install the module
   make install

8. Redo the module dependencies.
   depmod -a

9. Make sure the module loads.
   modprobe ati_remote

10. Make the module load on startup (lazy method)
   echo "/sbin/modprobe ati_remote" >> /etc/rc.d/rc.local

11. Set up the keys on the remote using xmodmap (I don't have my xmodmap
file handy here)