[mythtv-users] Locks Up and Slow Performance

Jason James jason_james_97 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 17 19:07:34 EST 2003

Thanks to everyone who has worked on 0.8. It's great
and I am really enjoying using it. I was amazed how
much progress was made since the CVS version I
downloaded only a couple of weeks ago.

A couple of problems:
--MythTV 0.8 locks up a lot, actually it was doing the
same thing with the old CVS version as well. I was
just changing channels and the interface stopped
responding and the picture froze. ALT-F4 exited the TV
window, but mythbackend is still using about 40% CPU.
Usually, I have to kill both mythfrontend and
mythbackend and restart them.

--CPU utilization seems high. Using RTJPEG 640x480 for
Live TV, my CPU is about 40% mythbackend, 30 percent
mythfrontend and 20% X windows, which means that it
dropping some frames. Does this sound about right? I
don't want to lower the resolution, actually, I'd
prefer to use 704x480 if I could. MPEG4 performance is
worse.

My basic machines stats are:
Athlon XP 2100+
nForce chipset
GeForce2 MX
WinTV PCI
256MB RAM
80 GB 7200RPM Seagate Barricuda IV with DMA on
RedHat 8.0
alsa-lib 0.9.1-fr1

./jj