Capture Card Resolution -- was: Re: [mythtv-users] 2 Capture card questions

Ray Olszewski ray at comarre.com
Tue Mar 18 22:24:20 EST 2003

My understanding too is that cards like the WinTV series can capture up to
720x384 or thereabouts (whatever the full PAL resolution is, a bit higher
than the full NTSC 640x480); I'd certainly believe 720x480 is possible,
though I can't vouch for it.

I don't know what you've seen that you think are "all the specs", for the
WinTV cards, so I can't "clarify" what they say. The spec sheet produced by
Hauppauge for the WInTV Go card, for example, does not list a maximum
resolution. Perhaps if you would provide some references to what you are
reading, I or someone else here can assist.

The 320x240 (for NTSC) limit is often a practical one, set by the CPU's
processing speed and hard disk transfer rate. (And the fact that actual
NTSC signals consist of 59.94 fps, composed of interlaced pairs of 320x240
images.) As CPUs get better, buffer memory more plentiful, and hard disks
and controllers themselves faster, that limit becomes less binding, and the
equipment used in a typical MythTV setup (as I infer from reading this
list; I use wimpier hardware myself) should not be subject to this
constraint. This *may* be the source of what you refer to as the
"confusion" about resolution capabilities.