[mythtv-users] Asus A7N266-VM

Christian Hack christianh at pdd.edmi.com.au
Wed Mar 19 16:26:43 EST 2003

> > 1) I can't seem to get the nForce sound running full duplex. I am
> > running
> > ALSA and using the example modules.conf from the ALSA page. I keep
> > getting
> > errors like unable to open /dev/dsp. fuser shows no processes with it
> > open
> > in general. It's as if it is opened for output and then MythTV tries
> > to open
> > it for input. In the interim I have added a cheapo Yamaha YMF724 (also
> > with
> > ALSA) as /dev/dsp1 and it works OK, although I'd like to get that PCI
> > slot
> > back. Ideas? From the sounds of things Cedar has it working OK... Any
> > tricks
> > to getting it working?
> >
> The alsa install went very smoothly for me. You might look at the
> setting up alsa and Red Hat section of the docs at www.mythtv.org
> because I wrote them based on my experience getting alsa going on this
> board and red hat. Below is the relevant section of my modules.conf. It
> is embarrassingly  unorganized, and some may not be "correct" but it
> works for me!
>

> ################# lirc
> alias char-major-61  lirc_serial
> ################################
> alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc
> alias usb-controller usb-ohci
>
> ################### alsa
> alias char-major-116 snd
> alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0
> # module options should go here
> # OSS/Free portion
> alias char-major-14 soundcore
> alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
> # card #1
> alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
> alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
> alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
> alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
> alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
> ###################
> alias char-major-81 bttv
> alias char-major-195 nvidia

MMkay, managed to get the sound working with exactly these lines in
modules.conf. Didn't really do anything apart from uninstall the Yamaha
card. Either way full duplex is working well now. :)

Now to get on to the inbuilt nForce although I may not bother since there is
no onboard TV-out and it's probably just cheaper to buy a AGP GF2 MX400 with
TV-out and use that instead.

As for the TVout card - the chipset is an nForce 2 but the link provided by
someone else is for an MSI motherboard.

Christian