Capture Card Resolution -- was: Re: [mythtv-users] 2 Captur e card questions

Ralph Little ralph.little at tribaldata.co.uk
Wed Mar 19 13:54:50 EST 2003

Hi,
I concur.
There is a discussion on this here extracted from the virtualdub web site
(VirtualDub.org):

-----8<-----8<-----8<-----8<-----8<-----8<-----8<-----8<-----8<-----8<-----8
<-----8<-----
Why do I get errors when I try to capture with a height above 240 (288 for
PAL/SECAM)?

    This following only applies to devices based on the BT848(A) or
BT878(A).

    NTSC video is composed of alternating fields of 240 scanlines, and
PAL/SECAM of 288.  If you specify a height equal to or lower than that, the
capture driver only snags one field.  If you specify a taller image, both
fields are grabbed.  In either case when you specify a size smaller than the
height of the field(s) captured, the result is then scaled down.

    The BT8x8(A) can only DMA to one destination at a time, and the output
pixel format can only be set on a per-field basis.  If you specify Overlay
mode, then the capture driver will instruct the chip to DMA one field to
memory for capture, and the other field to the video card.  The catch is
that if you are capturing both fields, both DMA lists have to point to main
memory.  This means that overlay mode is impossible when both fields are
captured, and depending on your exact driver, you will either have overlay
disabled when the capture starts, or, as is more often the case, get a
cryptic error about being out of memory.  Note that this is not a bandwidth
issue -- you can capture 640x240 in overlay mode, but not 80x480.

    To "fix" the problem, specify Preview mode; this unfortunately is slower
since the CPU is now doing a blit from the captured frame to the video card.
It may be that your system is not fast enough to handle this, in which case
you will need to disable the video preview entirely and capture blind.  A
secondary consequence of all of this is that you see exactly what is being
captured in Preview mode, while you are actually seeing the other field in
Overlay.  If you have a strange source where one field is much cleaner than
the other, it is possible with an Overlay display that you will see a clean
display on screen and end up capturing crap.  (I have had this happen.)

This may not apply to you if you have such a chip built onto your video
card, since in that case the chip can DMA into video memory, and then other
video hardware can transfer from there into main memory for capture.

Hope this helps...
Ralph