[mythtv-users] Locks Up and Slow Performance

Jason James jason_james_97 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 20 15:24:31 EST 2003

--- William Preston <bpreston at networkusa.net> wrote:
> > On a related note, do other people see weird
> artifacting using the MPEG4
> > compression? I get this effect where static
> elements will drift and
> > blend into other parts of the frame (the OSD does
> this very noticeably),
>
> You've either dropped some acid or your CPU is not
> powerful enough.
> Though the former is preferred, it's more than
> likely the latter :)
> Upgrade your CPU or reduce the res you're capturing
> at and it shouldn't be
> as noticeable.

Compared to RTJPEG or MPEG2, MPEG4 files look pretty
lousy to me, even at high bitrates (I've got mine
dialed up to 5000K on LiveTV just as a test). It has
lot of artifacts and fast motion looks really bad.

MPEG4 also a CPU hog, so I've had to reduce the
capture resolution on my Athlon XP 2100+ to 512x480
just so it can keep up. It might be time to
investigate some overclocking!

The image quality on the Matrox Marvel G200 TV (MJPEG)
I was using before was much higher in terms of
artifacts and fast motion. Unfortunately, that card
couldn't support resolutions higher than 320x240 or
so.

I checked and my system is using XV, so there is
something else slowing it down.