[mythtv-users] (post)recording issues

Unit3 unit3 at demoni.ca
Thu Mar 20 17:26:53 EST 2003

William Preston wrote:

>You've either dropped some acid or your CPU is not powerful enough.
>Though the former is preferred, it's more than likely the latter :)

Duuuuuuuuuuuuude! :))

>Upgrade your CPU or reduce the res you're capturing at and it shouldn't be
>as noticeable.

Hrm... as I suspected.

Now, on to another topic I'm curious about. Currently, I'm using WinDVR
(under Windows :P ) to do my PVR-type activities, and it works alright,
but not well enough to make me happy. (Audio syncing issues, missing
scheduled captures, and more) Anyway, after I record shows, I typically
use VirtualDub to edit out the commercials, clip edges of the video
(such as sports stations' static banners along the bottom of the
screen), and then re-encode into other audio and video codecs so I can
fit my shows onto CDR.

So, I guess my question is: does anyone know of any video editing
software for Linux that can do these kinds of simple things (cutting,
cropping, re-encoding, etc)? Preferrably something that can read the
format(s) MythTV saves to, but I'd be willing to re-encode using
mencoder and then edit, as long as the program could cut video together
without re-encoding it a 3rd time.

I haven't seen *anything* yet, so I'd appreciate any and all suggestions.

Second, how hard would it be to have a choice of deinterlacing
algorithms. I'm annoyingly picky, so if I think I can get better quality
without spending more money, I'd like to. ;)  Specifically, I'm thinking
of the SmoothDeinterlace plugin for VirtualDub (or possibly the
deinterlacer used by DScaler), that does a nice job of turning 640x480,
30fps interlaced input into 640x480, 60fps progressive output. I'd be
willing to try porting the filter, if it wouldn't cause too many
headaches for other parts of the system.

As sort of a postscript, here's a sillier question that I'm still
interested in the answer for: how difficult would it be to let MythTV
use different audio/video codecs, and/or different file formats that are
more standardly accepted across platforms? It'd be nice if we could just
record direct to, say, MPEG2, or to a Quicktime file using Apple's MJPEG
(which can, among other things, preserve interlacing if that's desired).
If we could do this, having a nicer deinterlace inside of MythTV is less
important (to me), because you can post-process it easier.

Whew, that was sort of long. I've been rolling these questions around
for a while as I've been using MythTV. Let me know what you guys think
on this.

Graeme