[mythtv-users] Red Hat 8.0 rpms (was: Version 0.8 is nowavailable.)

HoytDuff hoyt at cavtel.net
Fri Mar 21 15:54:52 EST 2003

On Friday 21 March 2003 03:30 pm, Cedar McKay wrote:
> > RPMs are just a package not unlike the debs that mdz provides.  I am
> > sure there is some documentation on the way and if now I will attempt
> > write some when I rebuild my box in the future.  The great thing about
> > them is that like the debs, if you use apt for them, it handles all of
> > the dependencies for you.
>
> As I said before, I have no objection to using rpms. My objection is
> supplying rpms, without any documentation, then letting the mythtv
> lists provide tech support. If Axel Thimm or someone else would provide
> some documentation that we could put in the mythtv docs I would be very
> happy to recommend them. Though Axel has shown no inclination to write
> docs, I would apreciate if you or any other fan of the rpms would.
>
> > There is no reason to stop making them as it
> > will only make a larger amount of the public able to use mythtv, which
> > in my opinion is a good thing.
>
> I agree. What we need is documentation in _addition_ to the rpms. If
> you do start work on documentation I would contact Robert Kulagowski to
> make sure he is willing to include Red Hat/ RPM documentation in the
> main docs. I would really like to see rpms become of viable way of
> installing! It is just that in my opinion it is worse than nothing
> without installation instructions.

I'd like to help with the RPM documentation with the understanding that I can
reference  and excerpt the work in my book (with the usual attribution, of
course). To that end, I'm willing to write a HOWTO for Red Hat using the
RPMS.

--
Hoyt Duff
http://www.maximumhoyt.com/

Run with scissors. Remove mattress tags. Top post. Be a rebel.