[mythtv-users] Re: The definitive btaudio thread

Chris Palmer mythtv at zencow.com
Mon Mar 24 15:39:31 EST 2003

Gregorio Gervasio Jr. wrote
> WinTV Radio (dbx-FM) model 401
> - btaudio digital works with 32000 Hz sample rate

> /etc/modules.conf (I don't think these are all required but I haven't
> bothered to minimize things):
>
> alias char-major-89 i2c-dev
> alias char-major-81 bttv
> options bttv fieldnr=1
> alias char-major-61 lirc_i2c
> alias sound-slot-1 btaudio
> alias sound-service-1-0 btaudio
> alias sound-slot-2 bttv
> alias sound-service-2-0 tvmixer
> pre-install bttv modprobe tvmixer
> pre-install tvmixer modprobe tvaudio
> options tvmixer devnr=2
> options btaudio dsp1=1 dsp2=2 mixer=1

I'm using the same card (Happauge WinTV-dbx model 401) and just got
it working with btaudio.

I used most of the above config.  I skipped the "options bttv" line
and the "options btaudio" line.  My btaudio devices come up as dsp2
(digital) and dsp3 (analog) using mixer1.  I haven't tried the analog
dsp3, yet, but under setup, I configured my Capture Card to use
/dev/dsp2 for the audio device.  I was previously using the audio
loop thru line-in, so audio was still going thru that until I
restarted the backend (making it re-read the settings from the
database, I assume).

When I started this, I wasn't sure what settings to make for mixer1,
but after experimenting, I found that nothing I did would make the
audio NOT work thru /dev/dsp2... :)

I find that the audio is a little quieter now, since it's not being
amplified by the audio card, but is probably now being recorded at
true line level.

I'm wondering, though, since my primary sound card is /dev/dsp, if
I might need to change the aliases above for the sound-service and
sound-slot settings.  I had all the relevant modules already loaded,
so I didn't test if those values help them automatically load when
the devices are accessed the first time.

-Chris