[mythtv-users] Audio Output to SPDIF via MythTV

Jared Luxenberg ziplux at attbi.com
Tue Mar 25 22:35:23 EST 2003

I've looked all over for some documentation on this, but I haven't been able
to find anything.  I have onboard audio via the CMI8738 chipset, and I'd
like to use the coaxial digital output (SPDIF connector) to go to my home
theater's receiver.  This works fine for XMMS when I try to play MP3s, WAVs,
etc.  And the beeping noise that the KDE console emulator makes go out to
the receiver without a problem too.  I'd like to get the MythTV audio to
output to the SPDIF, but I can't get it to work for some reason.  I can hear
the audio through the standard analog output, but I'd like to get to output
on the SPDIF so I don't have to run two cables to my reciever.

It should be possible with ALSA to output to the SPDIF...it sets up a device
called "spdif" which I can use in conjunction with aplay using the "-Dspdif"
option.  Any ideas?

Thanks,
Jared