[mythtv-users] Success - Setting Up 2 Hauppauge Cards - btaudio - modules.conf

John Freer john_freer at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 26 07:19:48 EST 2003

Hi All:

Just wanted to post my successful config so that somebody may find it
if use in the future in getting btaudio to work.  The posts to date
were somewhat helpful, but I had to piece the solution together from
about 10 different posts.  Anyway,

I have a redhat 8 box with 2 Hauppauge cards.  1 card is the Stereo
dbx card and one is the Stereo Dolby surround card.  Both have the
MSP34XX chips on board and work successfully with btaudio.

The real problem I had was getting the modules.conf file right to
make them play nice with the alsasound mixer.  But after a day or so
of trial and error, I got it.

Here's what I learned, interspersed in the modules.conf file below:

#TV Cards
#This is the standard alias line for bttv not sure meaning
alias char-major-81 bttv

#Pass option to bttv module to enable debug logging
options bttv debug=2

#OK here's the fun one.  We need to enable btaudio, but we want to
#pass some options to keep it efficient.  debug=2 means log debug
#information.  digital=1 means enable the digital dsp channel.
#analog=0 means don't enable the analog channels.  Rate=32000
#means tie the sampling rate on the card to 32000 for the dsp on the
#tv card.  This is important to do on the Hauppauge cards.
#!!!! Important for 2 tuner cards -- the optional btaudio argument of
# dsp1=1, dsp2=2, mixer1=1, may work for one card, but it sure
doesn't
# for two tuner cards.  When I continued the expression for dsp3=3,
# etc, the module wouldn't load. The only way to get it working was
# to pre-load the alsamixer module and let it take /dev/dsp0.  Then
# btaudio will automatically take the next 2 or 4 /dev/dsp1 --
# /dev/dsp4 depending on if you've enabled the analog outs or just
# the digital ones.
options btaudio debug=2 digital=1 analog=0 rate=32000.

# This is the most important line.  This tells the btaudio module
# to load only after the snd-pcm-oss module has taken over the
# /dev/dsp0 device slot.  This line was the key.
pre-install btaudio modprobe snd-pcm-oss

# This line makes sure btaudio is loaded before bttv.  Not sure if or
# why this is important, but it works for me.
post-install btaudio modprobe bttv

# Couldn't get it to work unless I tied the sound-slots to the
# btaudio module.  Not sure why here.
alias sound-slot-1 btaudio
alias sound-service-1-0 btaudio

alias sound-slot-2 btaudio
alias sound-service-2-0 btaudio

Hope this helps somebody.  Would've sure helped me.

Regards/
John.