[mythtv-users] RE: [mythtv] Some bugs, suggestions

Wed Mar 26 18:32:19 EST 2003

[moved from myth dev]

> 6) The menu icons seem extraordinarily slow to draw... my computer is
> an Athlon 1600+, which is plenty fast enough to do live TV even
> underclocked at 1Ghz, yet the menu interface takes about 2 seconds to
> draw the options. Can something be done about that?

This happens to me as well (running KDE on xfree 4.2 under gentoo).  It was MUCH faster on myth 0.7.

However, switching to fvwm and using the supplied .twmrc file *does* speed it up considerably.  It's just a bit of a pain since I am using myth on my development box and prefer to stay in KDE usually.  I can also record in a higher resolution in fvwm so resource usage must be significantly lower.

> Anyhow, I really love MythTV and just ordered a shuttle PC for a
> dedicated mythtv box, so, good going guys, this software is great, and
> I'm looking forward to future enhancements!

I heard that the shuttle was quite noisy?  Perhaps you are better off with a slimline desktop case?  More room for cards, and better ventilation?  Shuttle does look like a very cool idea though (I think I saw a firm selling a silencer kit for it, basically just a quiet fan...?)