[mythtv-users] Minimizing a Distribution

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Mon Mar 3 09:08:15 UTC 2003

Henk Poley wrote:
>>Van: usenet at wingert.org
>>
>>Second question, is MySQL really necessary?  I really question the need
>>for a database with today's processor.  The bloat of code vs the "time
>>savings".  With work projects, I always wonder if a flat text file isn't
>>sufficent (hell we aren't cataloging Walmart's inventory).
>

> No, we don't, but searching in a database is much faster.

The assumption of the question is that a database is evil
unless there is a performance issue. This is not the case.
There really are lists of information with multiple attributes
that need to be stored. If an existing database was not used,
one would have to be written and debugged inside myth to
manage the data. Using standard SQL to a small, stable database
makes things simpler and more stable rather than more complex.

--  bjm