[mythtv-users] 8MB Savage IX AGP card

Ray Olszewski ray at comarre.com
Wed Mar 5 18:25:31 UTC 2003

Actually, "tv out" is ambiguous in this context.

If the original poster just means outputting the TV display to a standard
computer monitor, then Calvin's answer is correct. (But Ben should exercise
some care, since there are known problems with xVideo on Savage. Go to the
site for the Savage X driver -- http://www.probo.com/timr/savage40.html --
for the details.)

But if the original poster is asking about a Savage card that has a
composite output intended for connection to an actual television ... well,
the usual problems apply. The one I have (a Savage 2000) works fine in
console mode, but it fails for undocumented reasons with X. As far as I can
tell, getting any TV-output on *any* video card working with X requires
special customization, either in a framebuffer (as with the Matrox cards),
or in the X server (as with the GATOS approach to ATI cards), or in
whatever secret way nVidea does it. And I don't know of any solution for
Savage TV out ... if anyone else does, I'd sure appreciate hearing about it.