[mythtv-users] can't watch or record tv

Ian Truelsen ian at ihtruelsen.dyndns.org
Thu Mar 6 21:48:30 UTC 2003

Whoah dude, your setup sounds an awful lot like mine.  I've got a GF4
MX440 SE, which I run in dual-headed (Twin View) mode along with my
regular ol' monitor, and it looks pretty good.  Granted, it's only about
a 25" TV, but it looks about the same as regular broadcast.  I run the
TV-out and the output from the "other" sound card through an RF
modulator (the el-cheapo $20 Shack model) and through a wall and about
15' of coax to the TV.  Looks dandy.  I use an Iomega Buz card for the
capture, an X-10 RF remote to control the sucker and a Redrat IR
transmitter to control my "external tuner"  ;)  Works like a charm,
although I had to write a bit of glue code to get everything playing
together nicely.

Yeah, so to actually answer your questions, I dunno nothin' 'bout no
vidmodes, but the examples with the NVidia drivers worked fine with my
card/tube.  And my XP1800 with a single 7200 RPM IDE disk plays without
skipping/jitter/smoke at about 5% load (total between frontend and
back).  Might I suggest buying a Buz on Ebay
<http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?query=buz+iomega>?  It only
cost me $10.50(+$6.00 S&H), which is a heck of a lot cheaper than a dual
Athlon mobo and a coupla Athlon MP's.

-Jon

P.S.: The drivers for the Buz weren't exactly a breeze to get installed
and running, but what's the fun without a challenge?