[mythtv-users] House of Cards -> New Linux Install

Ryan A. Carris rac at racarris.com
Fri Mar 7 02:05:04 UTC 2003

Jeremy Oddo wrote:
> So, I'm looking for some imput from people have may have a similar setup.
> I'm thinking of setting up a new myth box and I want to install the "best"
> distro for the job.  Which distro should I go with?  Gentoo?  RedHat?
> Dabien?  Mandrake?  etc?
>
> He's the tricky part....  Some of my hardware may not play well (or
> require a lot of work to get running) with some distros.  I have an SMC
> 2662W wireless USB network interface, NVidia GForce4 MX-440, LIRC homebrew
> IR Blaster, and a WinTV-Radio card.  Also, I want to make sure that ALSA
> sound is setup by default.
>
> Any advice?
> Jeremy

The wireless card is going to be tricky with any distro.  I'm struggling
to get my D-link 520 Wireless(Prism 2.5) to work.  But everything else
should be really easy with Mandrake 9.0.

Both Mandrake and Redhat will pickup the WinTV card, install the
drivers, and install xtaw to watch tv, no problem.  After you install
Mandrake, get the NVidia drivers for your card, follow the Nvidia
instructions,and you are good to go.

good luck, read carefully, have fun

-rac