[mythtv-users] Questions about v4l, digital cable, and theWinTV-D

Aaron Stewart acs at hourglassone.com
Fri Mar 14 22:20:40 UTC 2003

Well, I might be able to shed a bit of light on the subject just based
on some reading I've done, but I must preface this by saying that no, I
haven't gotten it to work, and I have no clue whether the WinTV-D card
will work with the standard (yeah, I know, ambiguous) digital-cable
signal.

My understanding of the digital tv, or DTV signal is that it _is_
standardized using a transport known as ATSC (as opposed to NTSC or
PAL).  Generally (and from experience in the San Francisco area), I've
noted that channels >125 are encoded using ATSC in digital, whereas
everything below the 125channel fold is standard VHF/UHF frequencies
over cable.

The set top box does convert these out to NTSC/Pal format, and contains
some special handling for scrambled premium channels (HBO,Showtime,
Skin-emax, etc.).

My educated guess would be that ATSC and DTV are synonymous, and that
(at the very least) AT&T and Comcast have been supporting it for a
while.  Motorola has some whitepapers on the technology at their site,
albeit a tad buried.  Hauppage doesn't leave a lot of info exposed, so
what kind of promise a WinTV-D card shows in handling these signals is
pure speculation.

So I leave the group with one question, since I've been resisting buying
a "D" series card until I can confirm.  Has anyone had any success with
these cards and digital cable?

Cheers,
Aaron