[mythtv-users] B&W Picture and Channels off....

Ray Olszewski ray at comarre.com
Wed Mar 19 16:09:50 UTC 2003

At 07:24 AM 3/19/2003 -0600, Unit3 wrote:
>Isaac Richards wrote:
>
>>Whatever.  There's no such thing as the canada-cable frequency table in
>>use on a real TV system.  All that it means is that you're using the
>>wrong tuner type.
>Weird, 'cause on my system using us-cable results in totally bizarre
>tuning, and using canada-cable results in pretty good tuning. I am in
>Canada. :)  However, the tuning under linux using canada-cable is
>noticeably noisier than the tuning under windows, so it could just be a
>tuner type issue. I guess I'll have to go digging through kernel docs. :)

Here is the USA, it's more common for cable systems to use us-cable-hrc
(ntsc-hrc) than us-cable (ntsc-cable). In looking at the actual frequencies
involved (the xawtv docs include listings), ntsc-cable-ca is a lot closer
to ntsc-hrc than it is to ntsc-cable (though it's far from identical). I
don't know what you are seeing that you call "noticeably noisier",  but I
wonder if you are trying to tune the hrc range using the Canada settings
and getting near-misses. If so, you might try ntsc-hrc. The same suggestion
*may* apply to the original poster in this thread, depending on which US
setting he's been trying.