[mythtv-users] Re: Red Hat 8.0 rpms

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at physik.fu-berlin.de
Fri Mar 21 22:02:48 UTC 2003

Cedar, your emotions against rpms are amazing. ;)

On Fri, Mar 21, 2003 at 11:01:08AM -0800, Cedar McKay wrote:
> skeeterskip's problems are a perfect example of why I think mythtv rpms
> are a bad idea. You suck newbies away who think they are getting the
> "easier" solution, and then the poor guys are left high, dry and
> unsupported. The mythtv docs as is can't help them because they are not
> designed with your rpm in mind.

No, that's the other way around, the rpms are designed according to the docs,
which are shipped with the rpms.

On Fri, Mar 21, 2003 at 01:50:40PM -0600, Brent wrote:
> RPMs are just a package not unlike the debs that mdz provides.  I am sure
> there is some documentation on the way and if now I will attempt to write
> some when I rebuild my box in the future.  The great thing about them is
> that like the debs, if you use apt for them, it handles all of the
> dependencies for you.

Yes, the biggest problem with mythtv were the dependent packages, especially
as they are almost all perl based. This gave me some headache until I had the
equivalent of relocated make installs fixed. Nevertheless, installing xmltv or
mythtv by apt-get or yum is worth the trouble.

In fact in the latest rpms I synced a lot with the Debian packages.

On Fri, Mar 21, 2003 at 12:30:34PM -0800, Cedar McKay wrote:
> My objection is supplying rpms, without any documentation,

Maybe you should check the rpms. There is all of mythtv's documentation even
with `corrected' paths (corrected = Red Hat alike).

At the bottom line I have the feeling, that there are more people benefiting
from my rpms than otherwise (actually you are the only voice against them, but
you are quite loud ...). And anything that is not good enough can only be
improved (patches welcomed ;)
Axel.Thimm at physik.fu-berlin.de