[mythtv-users] odd CPU usage

Aran Cox spin at avalon.net
Fri May 2 12:48:47 EDT 2003

I've seen this too... and it bugs me.  My system is fast enough to
record and playback another recording.  However, when watching LiveTV I
often get very jerky motion and top shows very little idle CPU time.
However, recording and playing back another show uses 35% backend, 5-10%
frontend.   Sometimes I see it behave like this, other times LiveTV
works just fine.  I'm pretty aware of other background processes, and
I'm sure nothing else is causing this.

Question: Does a single backend/frontend combo system always read the
data over the TCP socket?  Or does the frontend get the files straight
from the filesystem when possible?