[mythtv-users] Savage video cards, TV out, and X

James Knight foom at fuhm.net
Mon May 5 22:59:07 EDT 2003

On Monday, May 5, 2003, at 03:03  PM, Ray Olszewski wrote:
> Additional details: if both TV and VGA displays are connected, and I
> startx, the VGA display blanks. The X startup includes this message:
> 	(EE) SAVAGE(0): Failed to fetch any BIOS modes. Disabling BIOS.

This is the problem. I don't know what caused this error, but, if the X
driver doesn't use BIOS mode-switching, it will not work, at all, on a
TV. The X driver's non-BIOS-mode-switching code doesn't actually do the
right thing to make TV out work on the majority of hardware.

I recall seeing that message at one point during my attempts to get my
Shuttle's savage card to work, but I'm not sure what fixed it. Have you
tried using "s3switch TV" before running X? I think that may have done
something for me.

James