[mythtv-users] Re: Debian Package docs

Craig Longman craigl at begeek.com
Tue May 6 03:00:13 EDT 2003

Dennis Lou wrote:

>Craig Longman wrote:
>

>>you talked about installing kernel 2.4.16, one >point
>>

>to note is that i
>

>>had trouble getting the ivtv driver (for the
>>

>pvr->250) to install on
>

>>anything less than 2.4.20 kernel
>>

>If I'm not mistaken, ivtv is only supported in
>CVS right now.  The Debian packages are 0.8
>and don't support the pvr-250, so for now
>the point is moot.

by all accounts (issac) 0.9 is very close, which will support pvr-250,
so 'for now' might only be 'for another week'.  i would have looked
first for a debian install doc and if i'd gone and installed one kernel
only to find i needed a newer one before i was finished, i'd be
dissappointed.  just a one-liner saying 'if you are working with a
pvr-250/350, look in testing for 2.4.20' and a link to configuring the
sources.list for testing.

>Even so, ivtv users are going to be doing a
>fair bit of compiling to get the kernel modules
>and v4l2 that I think they'll probably be
>skipping to step 3.5 or 4 anyway.

well, its not that much compiling.  and unless told otherwise, i imagine
they'd at least try and start with the 'recommended' configuration
first.  anyway, whatever you  want.

one other point about the debian kernels.  i did recompile the kernel
i'm currently running, so i don't know if it was my fault or not, but
the dma is not activated by default.  also, the ide mode defaults to
33MHz, both are quite detrimental to performance, especially on
non-hardware encoders.  is this the case for packages kernels also?  if
so, some mention of hdparms with a link might be a good idea.  i'm
trying to figure out why my lilo commands to force 66MHz and hda/b into
dma aren't working, once i figure that out, i'll send it to you incase
someone else has the same trouble.

thanks,

    CraigL->Thx();