[mythtv-users] DVB-S support and mythtv

Ben Bucksch linux.news at bucksch.org
Tue May 6 20:06:47 EDT 2003

jbeuree at rogers.com wrote:

>Would the issue around cards not being able to prefilter cause a significantly larger load on the PCI bus?

I don't think that PCI is an issue, I think we have a TS of maybe
16Mbit/s or something in that area. I was more concerned about RAM
bandwidth. But I don't think that's going to be a problem either. It's
not *that* much of data to process.

If anybody has more concrete data about the size of transport streams
and the load that PID filtering and TS->PS conversion brings per card,
I'd like to know it.

In any case, I think the code should work with both types of card. But I
don't know, I'll need to test it.

>I'd eventually like to have a machine with a couple of these cards (and maybe even keep a cable tuner in it also).

me too. Note that they are limited to 4 per machine, I think.

>But if this would prevent this setup I may be better off getting a better card.

I will personally go with 2 Nova cards and maybe keeping the analog card
for backup.