[mythtv-users] DVB-S support and mythtv

Tue May 6 19:18:34 EDT 2003

Remember also that you only "need" one card per transport stream.  For DVB-T users say, this probably means that two cards would get you nearly all channels available simultaneously (4 are required at most).

PCI bandwidth is much lower than Memory bandwidth.  Memory bandwidth is up to 2-4Gb/s (depends on MB), but PCI is 132Mb/s

-----Original Message-----
From: Ben Bucksch [mailto:linux.news at bucksch.org]
Sent: 06 May 2003 18:07
To: Discussion about mythtv
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] DVB-S support and mythtv

jbeuree at rogers.com wrote:

>Would the issue around cards not being able to prefilter cause a significantly larger load on the PCI bus?

I don't think that PCI is an issue, I think we have a TS of maybe
16Mbit/s or something in that area. I was more concerned about RAM
bandwidth. But I don't think that's going to be a problem either. It's
not *that* much of data to process.

If anybody has more concrete data about the size of transport streams
and the load that PID filtering and TS->PS conversion brings per card,
I'd like to know it.

In any case, I think the code should work with both types of card. But I
don't know, I'll need to test it.

>I'd eventually like to have a machine with a couple of these cards (and maybe even keep a cable tuner in it also).

me too. Note that they are limited to 4 per machine, I think.

>But if this would prevent this setup I may be better off getting a better card.

I will personally go with 2 Nova cards and maybe keeping the analog card
for backup.