[mythtv-users] suggested hardware?

Jason S jms_temp at yahoo.com
Wed May 7 09:43:34 EDT 2003

Does anyone know how the AC '97 codec would work with
Myth? It's obviously really popular with MoBo
manufacturers but most systems I've seen seem to buy
their own. Given that this box only has two PCI slots,
that means you either buy two tuners or 1 and a sound
card... given I want two tuners AND good sound, this
is a problem!

Has anyone used with Myth with the AC '97? If so, does
it sound good? Easy to get up and running?

If so, then this could be pretty nice... the board
cost $180 on NewEgg... with a PC2700 512 MB DIMM
running about $50, a big 7200 RPM HD around $100, PVR
250 for $100 (Compusa with rebates)... you could throw
in another tuner for like $70 and build a slick
dual-tuner box for like $500. Oh, I guess you need a
processor too! A retail 478 socket P4 1.8 MHz would be
another $124, so the total cost is $625. Still pretty
darn good.

If AC '97 won't work, does anyone know of a similarly
cool system that has suitable on-board sound and
video, necessary multimedia pinouts/connectors, two
PCI slots and is reasonably priced? (I'm looking to
spend ~$600 or less) I'd also like one that supports a
DVD-RW drive if possible...

- Jason