[mythtv-users] Can I use MythTV for this?

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Thu May 8 10:18:13 EDT 2003

I think this would be possible.  There may be two options:

(a) I believe there is a 'transcoding' patch circulating that will
automatically transcode recordings once they are finished... however, I'm
not sure but I think the resulting file is still in the Myth .nuv format
(which you could, of course, play with a patched MPlayer, but I'm assuming
your laptop is running Windows)

(b) there is also a Perl script circulating called MythMkMovie, which will
do exactly what you want.  Right now I think you have to run it manually,
but I seem to recall the author saying that he wanted to add the ability (if
it's not there already) to have it pull the recording information from the
database.  All you'd have to do would be somehow kick off MythMkMovie
automatically, perhaps as a daily cron job or something.

All in all, the answer is YES, but you may have to do a little bit of
scripting on your own to get the exact setup you want.

-Joe C.