[mythtv-users] EPIA M10000 + PVR 250..

Kevin J. Slater kslater at pobox.com
Thu May 8 12:39:43 EDT 2003

For those of you interested in the EPIA M10000, I heard from a good source that
the PVR 250 and EPIA M10000 do indeed work pretty well for a MythTV box. CPU
utilization was about 80% during livetv (iirc), which was at dvd resolution. I'm
going for an EPIA M10000 this weekend.

BTW, I also heard that any EPIA M10000 manufactured after March 2003 will have
the Nehemiah chip on it. (When I asked NewEgg last, they couldn't guarantee that
the mobo's were new enough. That may have changed now.)

The only drawback I can see to using the PVR 250 is that the recorded file sizes
will be largish (since it's doing MPEG2 encoding). Of course, we might be able
to use the transcoding stuff (in cvs) to squish these back to more reasonable
size for those with lots of storage requirements. (Like a geek dad with 4 tech
savvy kids, for example..)

Also note, this path is not for the faint of heart and I wouldn't suggest it for
a newbie. Not at this point anyway. Now if only VIA would pony up a driver to
allow us to use the hardware decode, we'd be able to make a really quiet, cool
MythTV all-in-one box.

...Kevin